Sunday, November 18, 2012

Home Sweet Home...

My House, I Say

by Robert Louis Stevenson

My house, I say. But hark to the sunny doves   
That make my roof the arena of their loves,   
That gyre about the gable all day long   
And fill the chimneys with their murmurous song:   
Our house, they say; and mine, the cat declares  
And spreads his golden fleece upon the chairs;   
And mine the dog, and rises stiff with wrath   
If any alien foot profane the path.   
So, too, the buck that trimmed my terraces,   
Our whilom gardener, called the garden his;
Who now, deposed, surveys my plain abode   
And his late kingdom, only from the road.


For any of you who have a friend in game like I do - just a cool, nice person -- that is a wonderful blessing indeed. I have a few close friends, but my tiny cottage guild is where I feel the most "home" so far in Azeroth. It's had a few name changes, but we've settled on The Wildings, after the Free Folk in G.R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones series. No, there is no one fancying themselves Jonn Snow* or Ygritte (yes, it does sound like "regret") but the idea of just hanging out, slaying a few dragons, and being independent sure is nice. There has been talk of housing/halls for players: the only time I've experienced making my own little house in a game is in Animal Crossing. Shush, you. Princess was the pinkiest. I love my little guild, where I am the queen, my stuff is there, and open to all the inhabitants of two humans times twenty of alts. Because of guild rep changes, our little guild has gone from hovering around level four for a long time to now almost level ten in a matter of a few weeks. Who knows? Maybe we'll even hit level 25 someday, have all the rights and benefits of the larger guilds. I am reminding myself of so many of the changes I wanted have been made to game play -- there are challenges, scenarios, and even though the grinds get old, they can be done on our own time, with our own senses of interaction. We can make our virtual homes happy ones.


*Although we all could use a little John Snow now and then.

Theme Song: Game of Thrones opening theme song (yes, this is my ring tone)

3 comments:

  1. I know! My one person home is almost level 10 and I have perks! Money for repair! I think I only need two more exalted and I'll get a pet, ah, life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL that's so cool! You guys and your solo guilds :) It amazes me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I couldn't do this completely solo; but like a good home always welcome with lots of food! I never took one thing from the bigger guild; those can be like being invited to a dinner party at a mansion and the butlers make sure the guests are pilfering the silver!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!