Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Culture wars.

What a great day today! I went to the dentist, and have a searing headache, but nothing a little ibuprofen can't knock out. I am thankful for my teeth, my dentist, Dr. Morales, who is short, so he doesn't have to bend down far when he looks in my mouth, and I am thankful for ibuprofen, which makes me feel gooooood.

Last night I had fun with my new guild at my first crack at a raid with them...but I was a little worried about it at first. Get on Mumble, and there is a young woman's voice who is obviously southern (central US time is server time, so like Greenwich Mean Time, central time is the basis for all Azerothian clocks). She opens up discussion with a statement or something about "English should be the official language of the U.S. Discuss." 

Uh oh.

I think we all know how I feel about that. I wasn't sure where her logic was going to go, but she said something about most countries expect us (U.S.) to speak their language. That has never been my experience in my world travels. Most foreign countries I've visited speak perfect English, and most speak multiple languages. In my own job, I can be exposed to over 120 languages. True story. And knowing that many have hopes and dreams of coming to the US and not being able to speak English, but working so hard to do so, I see it every day. It ain't easy.

I did not feel like getting in some big "thing" with this new guild-mate, however. You may think less of me, you may not care, but I have learned from experience that if one has taken a position based on what Fox news reports and assumptions, it is wasted breath. Later, she asked me how I felt about Johnny Cash, and on this issue we found common ground. 

The raid was fun, make a few hiccups, but others did, too, and overall, I really like this group. I'm sure we'll find a common language. 

But--if all else fails--Johnny Cash can't save us...we'll just have to study Navi's Aussie Guide.  Because figjam. (Navi, is that a thing?)

I want this:

Needs no translation.
Coincidentally, this is the song I was thinking about the morning of the raid: Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus, covered by Johnny Cash 

Postscript: I really like my new guild, very much. And I do not care that they have different political views than mine--makes things interesting. 

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous6.6.12

    I'm glad things are looking up for you in terms of guild and raiding.

    I was going to say that Aussie slang term was missing a space... until I saw the link. I hadn't heard it before but maybe Navi has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May have to put that one on a T-shirt!

      Well, all I can say is I will do my part, and keep my expectations low--not in a "giving up" way, but in a "this is a game and have fun" way.

      Delete
  2. Um, those are the cat's paws, yes? At first look they seemed something else entirely.

    Yes, that young woman must not be well-traveled. In the countries I've lived in with the exception of the US most of the inhabitants gave me a severe inferiority complex because they usually spoke 2 or 3 languages. Thank Elune for Johnny Cash and common ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I left out a very important detail, and that is that very morning, I was singing "Personal Jesus" to myself and asked a colleague if he had ever heard of the Johnny Cash version--just one of those coincidences. EXCEPT- she then shared that she has a poster of Johhny Cash over her and her husband's fireplace, and he has a portrait of Jesus in their bedroom. Another guild-mate pointed out it should be switched, as having Jesus looking at him, while, you know, would be "distracting." Now there's a statement for discussion! Talk amongst yourselves....

      Delete
  3. Figjam! LOL yes that's right! And what is that freaky thing...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's some kangaroo ashtray with boobies. Why boobies? Why an ashtray? Cat's paws? Perhaps Tome is right. But, ah, the Internet! Yippee for just the perfect image!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!