Thursday, October 25, 2012

Put the hammer down...and PvP Debate Team

Stumbled upon this blog, The Crimson Hammer, through Navi's blog, and this post on Mogu'shan Vaults.  Even though I am semi-retired from raiding (although at the casual level I was raiding, that is like saying I am semi-retired from being a millionaire - I never really was one, so yeah...) I still find myself drawn to raid strategies and good reads. Some of the Youtube videos are a bit squirrelly for me; the music is awful, and the voice overs sometimes either too smug or too panicky, but they are a good resource, too. But the well-written blog post: now that is something I can get behind. I have always been a fan of Navi's, I'll call them "Captain's Logs," reports of what went down in a raid - they are fast-paced reads, just like a raid, and provide subtext and insight.

One of my Azerothian buddies, who has been a great restoration shaman healer mentor to me over the years, leveled his own shaman into LFR, and in his usual style, rocked the house in healing. I am posting this link for him too, because like me, (although he is a "real" raider as opposed to my poser status) we were both laughing about whether or not we cared about this sort of thing. Well, I do and don't - I'm still interested, and I like to know stuff. I just do. And what's cool about him is he understands my real life demands, and still thinks I'm pretty smart even though I may ask a dumb question from time to time. Like this one:

My next research project is to find out answers about PvP gear verus PvE gear. Last I remember reading, there were supposedly going to be some changes so that if one was wearning PvP to a PvE event, it wouldn't be such a big, fat deal. I'm still hearing players complain of "he's wearing all PvP gear!" and am curious about this shift. Did it change? Did it not? I understand the stat of resiliience, always have. The way I had it analogized for me in the past was gear stats were like a bucket--you had to make sure you filled your bucket with the right things. Resilience used to take up a lot of volume in your bucket. Okay. Simple enough. But now what? Is resilience just an extra layer of protection, Mormon underwear if you will, when one is doing PvP? Or is it the same, where if you're caught wearing PvP gear to a PvE ball, you will be stripped not only of your glass slippers, but risk being heckled?

/shrug

Not sure I care this much. Nerd Judges, what say you?


Postscript: By the by, this is my 999th published post.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shoutout, Matty, I hope I can provide some insight to other tanks that might have trouble with this encounter.

    Oh and early grats on your milestone with your next post! Although, it's nowhere near JD's 150,000 posts, lmao =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well sure! Thanks for writing it! And dang I thought that was JDs page hits not posts; even so I pale with 61,000 vs his, but hey, he rocks it!

      Delete
  2. The short version is all that matters is item level, a conquest pvp item is better than a 5 man heroic piece for both pve and pvp.

    The longer version will be coming soon :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erinys! I can't wait to get this resolved, at least for my own satisfaction.

      Delete
  3. I don't know about the fancy PvP gear but the low level crafted gear doesn't suck since you no longer lose a secondary stat that you used to for resilience.

    Really? 999 posts! Congratulations! I'd have to blog about eight more years to get there, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's good to know! What I do know is in my experience it is far worse to wear p v e gear to p v p than the other way around!

      Delete
  4. I have been trying to comment from my phone but to no avail. Hey look I got a mention in the 999th post! Woot! You know, other than Ancient and Kallixta, I never thought anyone read my raid posts but I'm really pleased you do look at them :)
    And about PvP gear - the stats on it look more like PvE and it's of a decent level and the PvP resilience and PvP Power on them give you bonuses in a BG but I would recommend looking at what Erinys is going to write. Though I think Rades wrote something recently...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!