Sunday, June 23, 2013

Roll credits.

No spoilers, I hope.

Okay - I know ya'll heard about the big kerfuffle with folks watching the HBO version of Game of Thrones, and the Red Wedding thing, right? A few details differ from the book, otherwise I thought the direction captured the scene extremely well.

What? You don't know? Well, I'll tell you what I told C.D. Rogue: READ THE DAMN BOOK. I still put my hand over my eyes, though I knew it was coming. I still started to tear up, though I knew it was coming. And I still lost all hope for the Starks, and cursed George Martin, and considered the nature of happy endings forever and a day, though I knew it was coming.

Last night we watched Cloud Atlas, and I was the one at a disadvantage because I hadn't read the book. From what I read, this movie and the Life of Pi were two movies-from-books that "they said couldn't be made." Maybe we (the audience) had to wait for technology to catch up with our imaginations, at least in the case of Lord of the Rings (another one they said couldn't be made), Cloud Atlas, or Life of Pi. Although in the case of Cloud Atlas, it had less to do with technical hijinks than good old-fashioned script writing and casting. You put Tom Hanks in something and it's all going to be okay.

There is one part where a character hears the music in a dream. Oh, I know this song well. The muses come out at night, it would seem. But I'll capture what I can: I am going to write a post on books, movies, and music for the summer, among other pieces.

And as far as happy endings go, can't wait to see how the story unfolds in Azeroth, either. Will probably have to cover my eyes, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!