Saturday, November 2, 2013

Dear Matty: Chocolate Y Drogas Version

Mr. Snerguls: "This post was inspired by a predicament many players find themselves in, and thank you to Zeirah for sharing this. Now, mwmmmwmwaaagggmmmmhhaaah." 

Go to i-Tunes and buy this. Now. 


Dear Matty:
I belong to a great guild and raid team. For the most part, everyone seems to get along, but there is…which is why I am writing…this one player, a woman, who is so crude and gross it would make the devil blush. I think she's trying to be a cross between Aisha Tyler and Miley Cyrus. I have had to mute her on Vent many times, which has led me to make mistakes cause once in awhile she'll give a tactical suggestion (surprised her mouth isn't blistered from all the cuss words, but she can say normal things, too.) I've tried to talk to the GM about it, but he just laughs and says she's been a part of the team since the beginning, is a great player (she does know her stuff), and to just get over myself (his words: "Maybe this isn't the guild for you.") I didn't think I was a prude, but her so-called humor crosses boundaries. Oh, and my boyfriend is on the raid team too, and privately has told me he thinks she has mental issues, and brushes it off. Why can't I?

Bathroom-Wall Belf

Bathroom-Wall Belf


Dear Bathroom:
The advice synopsis most players will give you is:
But I want to bring up a different tact: 'everyone thinks they have a sense of humor.' 


[Barney tells a joke. Everyone laughs, except Hannah]
Hannah Stubbs: I see that it's funny. I have a sense of humor.
Barney: Of course you have a sense of humor. Everyone thinks they do, even people who don't.
Think about it: first of all, everything is layered in our virtual worlds that makes conversation awkward on a good day. Now imagine throwing in comments we think are funny, and when met with crickets (man, tough crowd) we either decide to amp it up more or never speak again. If the person is an extrovert, often they will ignore the social cues, and if an introvert, will over-analzye the social cues. But not everything is funny. Señor told me some of the dumbest jokes yesterday, and he knows it. I'm not offended, we both know we're dorks. But he did make me smile they were so bad. Heck I get annoyed because one (female) player blasts music and when she clicks on Vent it's like having a kid play with the radio knob in a car: off/on/off/on/off/on, and it's really, really bad music. Journey and Kansas and shit like that. BUT - others have commented that they love it. And since she's a more integral, nice, and contributive player than I am, I don't get a vote. Simple as that. There is a heirarchy, a pecking-order if you will, in every single social structure. Every. Single. One.


Now, I'm going to link some humor that cracks me and CD Rogue up lately. It might offend some folks. The jokes might make you pee your pants laughing. We laugh because Al Madrigal makes fun of others who take themselves too seriously, and that is what a comedian is supposed to do. But, whether or not we think it's funny all depends on our own values. Sometimes we hate ourselves for laughing, we're supposed to be "better" than that. But it does fly in the face of our own moments of arrested development, when we find ourselves laughing at a 4th-grade level "what's black and white and red all over" joke:



What''s black, white, red all over, and doesn''t fit through revolving doors?
A nun with a spear through her head.

But someone who IS truly funny is Allie Brosch, of Hyperbole and A Half. I just bought her book, and hope she founds resoundingly success. Not that money makes us happy, but as my dad says, it sure does help.

2 comments:

  1. What's black, white, red all over, and doesn't fit through revolving doors?
    A nun with a spear through her head.

    I loled so loud I scared my husband downstairs. I KNOW, I just know some one who went to catholic school came up with that one, just has to be ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that was a pretty good one too...lol!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!