Tuesday, May 8, 2012

RTMT: Blog-slog.

Those pixels are buried around here somewhere...

You would never believe it from looking at my current wardrobe, but I used to be kind of a cute dresser. I never did spend a lot of money on shoes or purses, but always purchased top-quality cosmetics (which is why though I am 89 years old I look like I'm 69, I'm sure!) and I did know how to put together business/professional attire. But life happens while life happens, closets get messy, sock drawers jumbled, and dryers break and don't finish drying the shirt planned for the next day.

And, you would never believe it from this blog that I used to be a designer/artist, and know amazing designers/artists, too. It is a hot mess, and has been for some time. I know there are blogspot tools and custom/advanced settings to create stunning headers, organize posts, widgets and gadgets and thingamabobs and whoozits to help track traffic, draw in readers, and keep them interested. The aesthetic of this particular blog is wonky. I know it. You don't have to tell me. Like Navi informing me that Edna is not technically a superhero, this blog is not technically a (good) blog. And no - this is not me fishing for compliments. I am much happier with a clear-eyed vision, a mission, if you will, of what I need to do.

Now if I could just carve out the time to do it. (Turning a protection paladin into a holy paladin overnight is no easy task, let me assure you.)

When I get my twenty minutes for lunch, which turns into fifteen (and I wonder why my tummy hurts all the time) I've been going to my phone and reading what I can.

A few weeks ago I was honored to write a guest post for Hugh at MMO Melting Pot:
http://www.mmomeltingpot.com/2012/04/dear-matty/

Matticus even commented. He has recently put out this great advice series:

http://www.worldofmatticus.com/about-page-questions/

Now, the content of a blog doesn't seem to be a problem for me. If anything, I have too much to write, and again, not enough time.

But the design -- that has been troublesome to me.

Maybe it's because I didn't really expect readers. When I started this it was on a whim, just for fun. I never monetized it, and don't have any intentions of doing so. I have created other blogs, most sitting out there like neglected Stormwind orphans, hogging up URL space. And like that dress or pants that "might fit again someday" I haven't cleaned those out either.

The reality is, I may never know what this blog "is." It may never stick to my personal anecdotes or pure role-play. Its content may always be jumbled, and squirrely, and get loose. But like those mothers who put their toddlers on leashes, I'm just not going to do that--it may stay jumbled and squirrely, even if that doesn't fit on a "about me" post. Because, well, that is me.

So, fellow bloggers, be patient with me. I am trying to be patient with myself. I know the end is in sight, that I will have time soon to update, create, modify and beautify. In the meantime, look at the pretty Draenei--isn't she lovely?

Songs About Art: http://www.gaslanternmedia.com/2011/02/10-songs-about-art.html

3 comments:

  1. Sheesh, I know, when I started I just picked a template without much thought and started playing blogger with no expectations of anyone ever saying anything to me.

    Now I want a different look but I'm hesitant to self host and migrate all that stuff because of the time involved.

    I find the time I spend on the blog is stolen from game time so if I do it much more I'll be blogging about a game I don't play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ancient echoes my thoughts exactly! I have to say your blog is not all hotchpotch, it is your voice and the conversation is varied just like your mind. I wouldn't want you to change but no matter what you decide to do I will still be reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look at Cymre's and Ironyca's blogs -Ironyca's is probably closest to my own art style. I have sketched a thumbnail sketches out and am going to keep giving it consideration. And I agree - time on the blog steals time from the game, and oh yeah, that real life stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!