Monday, February 11, 2013

Day One: Please allow me to introduce myself...

Day One
Throughout my career I have had to do the dreaded "ice breaker" activity umpteen times. The protocols vary, but the nefarious outcome is the same: I present a snapshot of my inner workings to strangers and try my best to charm them immediately: I see a room full of cobras, and my witty repartee is the flute. Yes, sometimes I get bitten. But I bite back.

The standard ice breaker is to make a tri-fold tent card from card stock, usually buff in color (whose buff it's hard to say: the chapped fanny of a Dwarf? Perhaps.). The directions are clear: there is an assortment of colored markers in a dollar-store plastic bucket, and encouragement of creativity. Oh, and there are Sharpies. Lots and lots of Sharpies. I write my name in a florid style, usually big chunky letters, and on the inside we, the captive audience of meeting attendees, are instructed to write something about ourselves. Damn, now I'm thinking I wish I had kept all those tent cards throughout the years, I could have published a coffee table book!

Anyway - moment of truth: Or is it? Do I expose who I really am on Day One, or just keep my avatarial self in character?

I am a woman, with a life, who plays World of Warcraft, mostly in secret. Some things you just don't bring up in mixed company. If I've let you in a bit more, it's not because I'm shutting others out. I just want Azeroth to be Azeroth, and real life to stay somewhat on that side of the threshold. If I pop the thin membrane between my inner rich life and my sometimes impoverished outer one, I am left with--not much.

I'm in here...you just have to look
Oh, and I heard this song this morning and loved it:

Thrift Shop/Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (NSFW)

3 comments:

  1. ... I'm a woman of wealth and taste ... you know I had to immediately go to YouTube so I could listen while I read the post. I'll try Thrift Shop next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you got the Stones reference! I know that song, Thrift Shop, has lots of bad language, but once in awhile, gotta pop some tags and put on your granddad's style...

      Delete
  2. Hi, pleased to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!