Tuesday, January 1, 2013

¡Feliz Año Nuevo!

How a geek rings in the New Year: Hobbit slippers, Star Trek, and Azerothian adventures!
I am not sure what was going on toward the end of 2012: the collective conscientious of my friends and family was to perp-walk 2012 right out to the paddy wagon and be done with it. In the nature of cyclical mysticism, I turned the clock back to December 31, 2011 and found this post, "Happy New Year, Imbecil." Ah, plus ca change, plus c'est la même chose, eh?" But perhaps it wasn't so much that everyone wanted 2012 arrested, tried, and sentenced, it was that they wanted 2013 to be full of (positive) changes. Hear, hear! I second that, but still - what? How?

Well, let's think about this.


I need to make a general announcement: To all of you who gave me something this December, I am awful at reciprocation. Each year I have gotten more and more lousy at planning for big events and budgeting for any kind of generosity. I suck at it. No excuses, but I do want to make amends.

Resolutions, if you will.


This year I'm going to try one more attempt at the zen approach to 'less is more.' Yesterday morning on the phone with my mom I broke down and she just said she thought I needed iron and vitamins. She's right, I do. I am iron deficient and Vitamin D, too. Okay. So more vitamins. Check. There's a few other things I need, (have just been feeling way too extended, so Saz, I get you, I really do) but we'll start there.

In addition to vitamins:



Laugh more:

Zwingli wrote the story I WISH I had written about Ceniza and Pengu. (Yes, Ceniza and the Otter Pops is now the name of my new rock band. We'll be on tour in the continental US this spring.)

Please look for it here: Sometimes Gifting Hurts

Write on a schedule. I feel yucky when I don't, and creative constipation is debilitating.

Check in more: Update my checking account frequently, and get my financial house in order.

More grace: Do one nice thing for myself every day. No excuses. Even if it's a cheesy affirmation, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darnit, people like me!"

Read more, including Doyle's blog. He is one of my favorite writers. And no, nothing, absolutely nothing to do with WoW. Here is his Unsolicited Advice for this year.

Walk more.

Play WoW less, or at least with focused goals. (I made a promise to myself and another about this. It's important, and I don't want another year to slip past me and miss the good real world stuff going on.)

What I won't give up: continuing to be a loyal friend, and cherishing the one thing, the only thing that makes any endeavor worthwhile: love. If I am not doing something out of love for myself or others, it may need to go in the rubbish bin.

To all of you, more Vitamin D, more time without ceilings, more Hobbit feet, and less clutter.


Oh, more bag space would be nice, too.



2 comments:

  1. Here's to more Vitamin D and ... well, whatever else might be helpful :O

    I can't believe that post was a year ago, I remember that and it just seems a couple of months ago.

    Off to read Zwingli's story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time flies when new content comes out...


      Vitamin D is a real issue Tome.

      *snort!*

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!