Friday, June 21, 2013

Little saints...



The Roman Catholic church has many saints, and if I don my theologian hat I'm sure it comes from the compromise of culture from the Ancient Roman pantheon of having minor deities perform specific functions or protections. It's tough to give up beliefs, and shun a god. I still knock wood, or toss the spilled salt over the left shoulder, because you just never know. The monotheistic appeal of Judeo-Christianity is clear -- accessibility to a faith for the common man. But the good people just couldn't give up the spirits of the forest, hearth, or seas, nor should they. That is an unfair compromise.

I don't really pray. I'm not sure what I do, actually. I do something, think a thought, make a wish, hope, concentrate, meditate, something, when I feel the universe needs to be reminded that although it isn't fair, and it certainly is under no obligation to me to show its cards, that I can still hope for something -- some comfort, some laughter, something...

Over the next few weeks I plan on tackling the faiths in Azeroth. In the meantime, however, I have someone who could use your prayers, or whatever it is you do, or even just a kind thought, that something serious gets better. Some strength is given. Some light is shone in the darkness. Pray to St. Juliana for chronic illness, please, or whatever small shrine you create. I don't know if it works. I really, truly, don't. But I know thinking nothing doesn't either. Go in peace.


Theme song: Misguided Angel/Cowboy Junkies


8 comments:

  1. Love, love, love that song. Thank you, Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have a heavy-duty Cowboy Junkies rotation playing - how can a voice evoke such love and pain in every note? Amazing.

      Delete
  2. I managed to find my way back this time. Because of that song I had to listen to Sweet Jane and then Lou Reed and then there at the end I somehow got, I don't know HOW, to Slow Ride.

    I will think thoughts of good outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find myself whispering up a prayer to St Anthony whenever I've lost things (this happens far too often) and I have a soft spot for St Dorothea of Caesarea, patronage saint of gardeners amongst other things. I was brought up in a cauldron of beliefs, Catholicism mixed with Methodism mixed with something considerably older and perhaps darker. There is something familiar in the ritual, something safe and comforting that even now, I find solace in churches and other sacred places. Consider the prayers said. I just hope that someone is listening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erinys--the message will be delivered.

      Delete
  4. I, too, went on yet another journey started by Matty's musical link. I didn't get back to here until after work and I got home and couldn't remember which little saint you mentioned.

    Although saints are usually known for listening to prayers, you don't suppose they ignore the Internet, do you? If it helps...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an interesting philosophical question - do saints only listen to homemade whispered prayers, or do fiber optic ones work too? Thank you Kallixta - very much

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!