Friday, July 15, 2011

No hacks.

"It was a dark and stormy night..."
Today is Harry Potter's birthday: a fictional character, in a fictional world, but when I go to see the last installment of this young hero on the big screen, I know I will cry as if he is someone I know, and the other characters, too. In many ways, I do know Harry.

One resonating reason I became so enamored with playing World of Warcraft is the narrative. Bringing up my little sweet shaman has been so...fun is not the word. She is crafted, cared for, and considered. Her character is rich, and although her narrative and my own run many parallels, Matty's voice and strength, and weaknesses, are unique to her. She is ready for some new adventures, and will be seeking those. Not sure where her journey will take her, but she is not done yet, not yet a master of two worlds. 

So, if you're feeling a bit in a creative gaming slump, take some time out and be creative in other ways. It is my faithful belief that we are all creative people. 

This wonderful blog took a small character and created an emotional vignette: http://wowhats.wordpress.com/2011/07/15/raiding-fatigue/ Go to any fan-fiction site, read and research writings by others, too, be they Warcraft related, or of any genre. If you need a break from gaming/fantasy, I strongly recommend you check out Keri Smith's blog and books: http://www.kerismith.com/blog/

My friends in the World are few, but cherished. You all range from people whose human faces I know to those I will probably never see, and you are as real to me as anyone. If you ever recognize a little bit of yourself in anything I write, it's a gift I don't take for granted. 

Take some creative control of your World and your world. It's your story, and you should stick to it.

Postscript: Partial spoiler alert: It was Severus' story that brought the most tears, and it's tough to cry while wearing 3-D glass. Tears kind of pooled up like a fish tank.

Theme song: Paperback Writer/The Beatles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!