Saturday, February 15, 2014

Love Letters VI: Right word, right time

Guarf's limerick vexed me all day yesterday. I scribbled ideas on sticky notes, muttered to myself, struggling to find words that have the 'arf' pattern. Nothing.

Here is what I wrote:
There once was a Dwarf named Guarf
Who drank so much ale he barfed


No, no, no...do over:

There once was Dwarf in Ironforge
Who fished, drank ale, and sausage gorged
His belly got so fat and round
When his shaman friend Matty looked down


While seeing if Navi had sent me a message this morning, I saw this feed post from Visual Thesaurus:


ZARF!!!
Yes, there is a word for that cardboard tube around your Starbucks

Zarfs originated from beautiful metallic work: this is not that.


Aside from its amazing potential in a Scrabble match, this…this might work.

Okay: so, I'll try again:

There once was a Dwarf named Guarf
Who drank so much ale he barfed
Warm cider or cold brew, no matter
His beer belly growing fatter
But he looked so dandy with his zarf


Dammit.

Dammit!

I surrender, Guarf: your name wins this round.

Friends - help? Kallixta? Tome? Erinys? Help?



4 comments:

  1. Challenge accepted!

    Ahem..

    There once was a Dwarf named Guarf
    Who drank so much ale he barfed
    Cold brew or warm
    He'd drink in a storm
    That Dwarf never needed a zarf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Cheers wildly!* Perfect, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say I can't do better but I'm happy barfing's back in and then Yay! Dahakha comes to the rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Dah! I will not write my limerick then :D yours kills mine!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!