Friday, August 30, 2013

Tiny Story Time: Mataoka's & Navimie's Friday Fished-Up Fables: Vareesa




"Please stamp on the coin, sir, just as I have written it here: Asto're da shan're. Turus Fulo II'amare, A'Talah Adore. Isera'duna..." Vereesa used both her hands as paperweights on the scroll, to show the goblin coin-maker the words. He nodded. "I see," he grumbled. Vereesa paid the engraver a large sack of gold she took from Rhonin's coffers. This wish came with a heavy cost. Goblins like their money a little dirty, and dried blood remained on many of the coins. Turning a sack of gold into one copper coin was not a fair trade, but she was told his magic was guaranteed. As for her lost sisters: there was nothing she could do. She resorted to the blood magic, thinking that if she wished for honor, for peace, surely the gods would grant these wishes. They were selfless desires, not vain. But she had forgotten to scrub out the last line, the one about the green ones...to wish death brought bad luck. The goblin saw the words, and believed she was wishing death on goblins. He miscast her name intentionally, for if the gods can't find the right soul, the wish will not come true. Vereesa lost her way, too, and the gods never found her wish.




The mysteries of misspellings.

Navimie's Ansirem

8 comments:

  1. I went and read all the discussion on WoWhead about the translation. Wow, it's as intense as whether or not there was a 2nd shooter on the grassy knoll. Now we know the real story. Shame on that Goblin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tome - isn't that interesting? I hope my version sheds some light on what I think happened, and how the coin was misstamped. Misunderstandings are dangerous things indeed.

      Delete
  2. That coin confused me. Is it Vereesa? I was wondering about it. But oh Vereesa, your lost family and loved one, even though you are alliance, I ache for you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the great mystery: no one knows why Blizzard kept the coin "Vareesa" - this is my explanation for what happened. Ah, Alliance/Horde: we all live in Azeroth, and all hurt and love one another. I wish there were more cross-faction races. I want to start an "ambassador" class.

      Delete
  3. see, "death to Goblins!"

    Hi!!! I am alive and almost well. :Þ

    "Death to Goblins!"

    -roo the pancreas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roo-- glad to know you're alive, and almost well, though I wish it was all well. It wasn't the goblin's fault - he misunderstood. Unfortunately it had dire consequences.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous30.8.13

    Oh, these fables are great. I loved fishing new coins up back then. I only wish we could hold them all in some sort of virtual receptacle so we could look at them whenever we wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cymre: wouldn't it be wonderful if we had true boxes and bags to hold all of our treasures?

      Delete

Thank you for your comment!