Friday, February 17, 2012

Between the queue lines: I am sorry.

Today I was thinking about one of my favorite books as a kid, Harriet the Spy. I love this story for so many reasons: at first glance, it's about an only child with a nanny who lets her be creative, she lived in a high rise in New York City, and she got to roam the nooks and crannies and "spy" on some of the most interesting character studies in literature. Harriet had everything I didn't: I was a suburban kid with two pesky little sisters, and no one interesting to spy on. But, thinking about it today, I realized its message is far deeper. I was perhaps feeling a bit of writer-guilt because sometimes I poke fun or act irreverant on this blog, and I may have hurt other's feelings. Harriet keeps a journal, and included in her observations she writes about her two best friends in somewhat unflattering light. The journal is found, read, and she is ostracized by her two best friends. It's a question of honesty over friendship, the errant comment that hits a mark, (or breaks a heart), or how do we find grace again after hurting someone? Is the friendship ever the same? Big questions on Harriet's little shoulders.

So, a public apology: sometimes my desire to be funny trumps my good sense. If I have ever written something that has vexed or crossed anyone, my apologies. I deserve to get troll-bitten during those times. I was re-reading some things that I intended to be funny, but now looking at them, perhaps weren't. This is a lesson I am not sure I will ever learn, but hope you like me anyway.

4 comments:

  1. I looked and looked for an insulting reference to me and all I found was:
    "Navi you funny lady"
    and
    "Navi you rock"
    Which I SUPPOSE could be insulting if
    1) I was a guy
    2) I was actually a vegetable

    I can't even find any other insulting references except to your old guild. You worry too much. And if the great BBB reads you (OMG can I FAINT already, I wish he'd read and comment on my blog, I'd just die, I am in total awe of you and Ancient) then you must be awesomesauce. With sprinkles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was drinking milk it would have come out of my nose.

      And yes, I do worry too much.

      And now there is imaginary milk on my keyboard from laughing too much.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad I could be of service :D

      Delete
  2. Yeah, like Navi I'm confused. Now I am relying on memory here which is laughable but I don't remember you ever being mean to anyone.

    I think Navi's right. I know I worry sometimes about my comments, it can be hard to convey humor without visual cues but I think you're fine. Don't worry, be happy.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHFDa9efCQU

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!