Sunday, March 25, 2012

Hunger Games.

When Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, published in 2008,  arrived it was one of those transformative novels for me. I have not yet seen the movie, nor did I finish the third installment of the series (although I did have one critical plot piece spoiled for me). I will see the movie, and I will finish the series. But for now, am just savoring being a pivotal person in helping many others read that book, too. Man, there is nothing like sharing a good book, and watching others eat it up.

Digging Haanta out of cold storage for Mog Madness, I realize that my theme for her will not be realized for the contest, but decided to snap a few shots of a vision I had for her, a homage to Katniss Everdeen, the "Girl On Fire," the huntress heroine of a dystopian future of reality games and exploited children. (Makes you want to read it now, doesn't it!?) But really --it is a monumental piece of work.

With Flame Wrath Polearm

Sunfury Bow of the Phoenix...a nod to the mockingjay
In some ways, I am a bit mournful that now when I recommend the book, all others will ask is, "Isn't it a movie?" and just watch that. Nothing like seeing the movie in your mind, good human brains. Which brings up why I think I enjoy spending time in Azeroth - it's a blending of creating the narrative and seeing it at the same time. Haanta is going to try to rouse some shiftless heroes to aid her in her quest for a blue and gold polearm. Blue is not her favorite color. But she'll get over it.

5 comments:

  1. My daughter just lent me the three books through Kindle. Before I started reading them I thought the "two weeks and they turn into pumpkins" might be a problem.

    Two days now and a book and one half done, so I love your tribute to Katniss. Just took a break to recharge the iPad and then back to District 12.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear what you think (! - squee!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guarf26.3.12

    I keep hearing good things about the Hunger Games. I guess it's one of those "children's books" that has a few different levels for adults as well? Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy was much the same way. Really disappointed Golden Compass didn't do well enough at the box office to justify filming the other books.

    Also, I wonder if Haanta is stalking me? One of the champions I play in League of Legends:
    http://na.leagueoflegends.com/champions/102/shyvana_the_half_dragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guarf, it is not a children's book at all. If there is a demographic I guess it would be young adult, but it is quite controversial. You wish Haanta was stalking you. You should be so lucky - a girl and her bear is all she needs! lol!

      Delete
  4. Just went to the URL -- I'll be damned!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!